Dr Ahmed Hussain is currently the Senior Director of Academics for Wellington College China and Huili Group. This position involves leading the Institute of Learning in addition to working across the group on all academic related issues and providing outreach support. Before the appointment, Ahmed served as the Director of Schools at Wellington College China for three years. Following an initial career as a research scientist at the University of Nottingham, Ahmed trained as teacher of science. Following many teaching and leadership positions, Ahmed was appointed as a Lecturer of Education at Durham University.
Education in China and across the globe is changing, reflecting economic, social and technological transformations. The education sector in China is developing at a rate that far exceeds that of any other nation. In such a climate, educators have a deep responsibility to ensure that the educational offer meets the needs of pupils and helps prepare them for life beyond their time as students.
The Institute of Learning has been established to provide professional learning solutions that empower educators and leaders to deliver an education that is at the forefront of innovation and development. Our aim is to establish a professional learning community that drives forward all aspects of education through high impact training and development.
As a passionate team of educators, we are committed to contributing to and helping shape the development of education across China.
Senior Director of Academics
Vision and Mission
• Empower educators and leaders to shape education that prepares pupils for success
• Rigorous, research-based professional learning programmes designed for impact
The Institute of Learning offers training and development solutions to the education sector in China and beyond to:
• Meet the needs of the growing WCC/Hui Li group
• Educators from private/bilingual and international schools
• Supplement existing training programmes for teachers and leaders in the public-school sector
Professional learning and training opportunities will be offered through:
• Bespoke consultancy, training and development provision for a school or school group
• Conference and workshops
Institute of Learning programmes are:
• Designed to allow participants to be reflective and critical practitioners
• Coherent and integrated to allow development and growth
• Structured to deliver impact
• Personalised and tailored to institutional need
• Delivered by an expert team of institute staff or our outstanding partners
The training and development programmes or modules on offer are organised into the following categories:
• Certified teacher training
• Pedagogy and practice for teachers
• Teaching assistant programmes
• Non-academic leadership programmes
The Institute of Learning offers professional learning programmes in conjunction with high-quality partners that exhibit shared values and quality. These include:
• Durham University, School of Education – The leading university for education in the UK
• East China Normal University – A leader in education in China.
• Nottingham University, Ningbo – A renown School of Education operating in China with a specialism for education in multilingual and multicultural contexts
• Karen Ardley Associates – A leading and award-winning education consultant working across the globe including a focus in China
• Space Zero – Award-winning designers that inspire learning through the learning environments they create in schools across the world
• YK Pao School – YK Pao School is a pioneering international Chinese school founded in 2007 with a unique Year 1-12 educational programme that integrates elements of Shanghai and international curricula. The school is a partnership school with the institute of learning for initial teacher education programme.